I have met a few people with IQ's that label them geniuses. However, most of these same people have problems with fitting in. I know a family who have 5 boys the oldest being 12 years old. All five have tested for high IQ's and when you talk to them, you can see it...even in the youngest one. The youngest one (not sure of the age) and I have had conversations about the circulatory system. I was amazed at what he knew about it. I just spoke to the Mom today and found out that, although 4 out of the 5 are very well socially adjusted, the middle child is having a lot of problems with socialization. It came to a head last week when she was called in for a parent teacher conference and ended up with the principle, the child's teacher and 2 other teachers who take of the gifted classes. They laid out the problems they have with him and they are quite severe for a child his age. They have 8 kids in or around his age at their school and he does not have or even desires to have one friend. He says they are all stupid and doesn't like any of them. It is heartbreaking for the mom. The parents have now put him in to counseling and pray that this is the answer. He treats his brothers the same at home and to try to correct the behavior is extremely exhausting and they are at their wits end. I have had conversations with their son and they have been enjoyable....there are times that I have literally caught myself forgetting that he is around 7 or 8 years old. I grew up with "smart" kids and every one of them had socialization problems...I have wondered for years if it is a curse or a blessing to be that smart. I am glad to know that there have been geniuses that have crossed my path and are still part of my life that I can now call friends and I will be talking to them for some insight into why this child may be having the struggles that he does. Anyone out there that can help, I would appreciate any constructive feedback.
No comments:
Post a Comment